Let me just say that I am totally in love with our attic. It has a nice staircase leading up to it, vaulted ceilings, three windows, it’s just a really neat place. It completely makes up for how terrible the basement is. So the attic, as you may recall (If you don’t, go here. Bottom of the post), was in a bit of a state.

Almost half of the boards weren’t even nailed down so it was a bit precarious to walk around, I’m honestly surprised nobody fell through the floor all the times people were up there. At any rate, it was decided we’d do the same subfloor we had in the rest of the house. We did this in conjunction with the removal of the arches from the study and a bedroom. It was a pretty big task. These pictures encompass mid-February through June.

Here are the boards I pulled up. Gotta start somewhere!

IMG_4317

That, of course, was to get these 4’x8′ sheets of plywood up into the attic. These had to be carried from the driveway, to the living room, pushed up through the ceiling into the bedroom, stacked, then up through the ceiling into the attic. 38 times. Not fun.

IMG_4318

And with that, it was time to start putting it down.

IMG_4327

These steps were reinforced and tied into the wall below. In this picture it looks like they’re floating. Awesome. Once they were tied in they were much safer.

IMG_4328 IMG_4331

Freaking cat! Out of my wood pile!

IMG_4336

Back to work

IMG_4341 IMG_4343 IMG_4344 IMG_4345 IMG_4346 IMG_4347 IMG_4348 IMG_4349 IMG_4350 IMG_4351

See this window? We had a bat that kept coming in through it. It’s amazing how useful screens are in windows. Anyway…

IMG_4352

Things went smoothly for the most part. The only issue was that there is a bit of a peak in the middle of the room around the chimney. There was nothing we could do about it but the only thing it impacts is we won’t be playing marbles up there.

IMG_4354 IMG_4355 IMG_4359 IMG_4360 IMG_4369

Here is where the archway work started to come into play. We had to go back down to the first floor and work there. Click here to read up on the arch work and then continue on from here…

IMG_4370 IMG_4548 IMG_4549 IMG_4553 IMG_4587 IMG_4588 IMG_4602 IMG_4603 IMG_4604 IMG_4605 IMG_4606 IMG_4607 IMG_4608 IMG_4621 IMG_4622 IMG_4623 IMG_4624

Working above the main staircase and the foyer was a little unsettling because of how high it was. One wrong step and that would be the end of this project!

IMG_4626

But a little bit left! The corners and edges proved to be difficult on this side only because the wood next to the window was split. Lots of cutting and trimming but we eventually got it in.

IMG_4630 IMG_4633 IMG_4634 IMG_4651 IMG_4652 IMG_4653 IMG_4654

And we’re done! Here’s how it looks now. We replaced all of the mini-walls around the window gables to reinforce them. I spent about 3 hours vacuuming up all of the leftover sawdust but it looks great. It’s the most finished place in the house for the time being. The whole attic feels very tight and stable, a great room. I don’t know what we’ll do with it in the future but I love it!

IMG_4655 IMG_4656 IMG_4657 IMG_4658 IMG_4659 IMG_4660 IMG_4661 IMG_4662 IMG_4663 IMG_4665

As an aside, it feels kind of weird to sum up months of work in one post. This was hard! We’ll have to get the windows replaced eventually, but for now, call it finished.

One thought on “The Attic – A Victorian Masterpiece”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *