So remember the lovely back screened in porch? Went something like this?
View the whole Victorian home tour here!
Well it turns out that it had MAJOR water rot coming from the roof. The picture below is after an entire week of no rain, still soaked. Very unfortunate. Not to mention that if more than two people were in it there was an unsettling wobbling and shaking.
Naturally, it had to come down. Here is the view after we took out the screen.
While removing said screen we found a cute little sleeping bat. We relocated him to a bush to get his bearings and find a new place to call home.
Anywho, here is some progress from the ground.
We went along with more removal and as you can see here the entire structure was falling apart. Why though?
Turns out that instead of doing the roof properly they instead started adding roofs as problems cropped up. To the tune of four. Four roofs on top of each other.
The issue stopped at the end of the porch but the roof proper had some major issues. Years of tree cover caused some mold/moss issues on the roof. I don’t know what the hell is up with that little dome skylight, it lets no light whatsoever into the attic.
After we ripped it off the whole thing seemed much more airy. My dad really enjoyed using his sawzall.
Much nicer view now!
And the view from the ground once again.
The floor came out without much fanfare either, we just worked our way backwards to the door.
The remaining framing pretty much collapses after we gave it a gentle push, I was just happy it didn’t fall INTO the house when it did.
There’s the view as well. Very nice!
Hmm, that’s probably not safe.
There. All better.
And the obligatory night shot.
3 thoughts on “Removing the Back Screened in Porch”